we buy any salvage cartaxi farewe buy any salvage car

Guide On Selling A Vehicle To Someone Outside the UK

selling a vehicle to someone outside the uk

Added by Leap Digital

29 September, 2021

Many people often prefer to sell their old car over scrapping a vehicle in the UK. People generally use this money to upgrade their car or use the money on something important. When it comes to selling your car, there are two main options. First, sell the vehicle to someone inside the UK, and second, sell the car to someone outside the UK.

We Buy Any Salvage Car works with salvage cars all over the UK. In this guide, our expert team will tell you the process of selling a vehicle to someone outside the UK. 

According to the law of the UK, you can either file for temporary export or permanent export of the vehicle. Temporary export means that the car will be outside the UK for less than 12 months. At the same time, the permanent export means that the car will be outside the UK for more than 12 months. 

When it comes to selling a vehicle outside the UK, we must file a permanent export. This is because when we sell a vehicle to someone, we definitely do not sell it for less than 12 months. 

How to export a car from UK? 

First, you must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) that you will be taking the car overseas for more than 12 months. To file a permanent export, you will have to:

  • Fill up the permanent export section on your vehicle’s log book (VC5) and detach that section from the logbook.
  • Now, send the permanent export section to the DVLA once completed. Add a letter stating the reason why you want to export vehicle from UK. If you are moving abroad with your car, state your new address if you want a vehicle tax refund. You will get a vehicle tax refund only if you are entitled to it.
  • Keep the vehicle’s logbook with you if you are moving overseas, as you will have to register the car there.

Selling the cars will get you a better amount of money than you would receive for writing your car off under salvage cars. If someone chooses to sell a car to someone living overseas rather than scrapping a vehicle, they must follow the proper procedure.

We get a common question about what to do with the VC5 when selling the car to someone outside the UK. If you are selling the vehicle to export it outside the UK, make sure that both you and the buyer follow the correct process. This is important as the buyer will have to register the car in their country. The seller must provide the buyer with the complete vehicle logbook and not only the keeper slip.

What to do if you are moving abroad with your car for less than 12 months?

Many people ask what they should do if they want to export vehicle from UK while moving outside the UK. You can temporarily export your car outside the UK if you are moving for less than 12 months. In this case, you must take the logbook of your vehicle along with your vehicle.

You may have to show the vehicle logbook at the ports or while driving abroad. Your vehicle logbook must contain the information of your most recent address inside the UK. The UK laws will still apply to a vehicle registered inside the UK if you take it abroad for less than 12 months.

Vehicle Tax Rules For The Buyers

If you purchase a new or second-hand vehicle from the UK, you may not have to pay the UK VAT or registration fee. However, the amount you pay and how you pay it to export a vehicle from the UK depends on its shipping location.

When you purchase a new vehicle from the UK and export it under the Personal Export Scheme, you do not have to the UK VAT. But you will have to pay the taxes concerning the vehicle and the registration fee of the vehicle. This is something you need to keep in mind when selling a vehicle to someone outside the UK.  

What You Have To Do To Pay The Vehicle Taxes

As we mentioned above, you will have to pay vehicle taxes to export vehicles from the UK. To pay the vehicle taxes, you will have to appropriately fill up the VAT 410 form and give it to your supplier. The supplier will provide you with a copy of the document.

You have permission to drive the vehicle inside the UK for up to 6 months since the vehicle delivery date. Non-UK and Non-EU residents can drive the car inside the UK for 12 months after the delivery date. The vehicle must be exported out of the UK once the permitted period is over.

The vehicle export date will be clearly mentioned on the VX302 or the VAT 410. The VX302 is for the new cars while the VAT 410 is for second-hand cars. After exporting the vehicle, send VX302 or the VC5 to the DVLA. If you fail to export vehicle from UK on time, then you must pay the UK VAT. 


Now that we know the procedure of selling a vehicle to someone outside the UK, we can say that it is not complicated at all. Selling the vehicle is an excellent option for people who do not fancy the idea of scrapping a vehicle. For more queries, visit We Buy Any Salvage Cars

Other Vehicles Recently Scrapped…

Open chat
Click to Chat